Wednesday, December 15, 2010

10 days till Christmas

Wow, did anyone get any of the snow that fell on Monday? I heard that everyone around us got a good covering but we weren't so fortunate. We got a small dusting on the side of the road and that was that. Not even enough to get a photo. Monday was such a cold day that we decided to stay inside all day. We had a pinata project that needed to be started so, after Lydia finished her schoolwork we pulled together all the supplies and got to work on it. I will say here...paper maché is not your friend. It really isn't. It is messy. It slides everywhere. And just when you think you have it licked, it shows you who's the boss. Once I thought I had it looking good then the next thing I know, I was tearing it all off and starting over. We used 2 bags of flour. Don't laugh...you give it a try!




It's finally taking shape and looking like a snowman. This is only the first layer. Once it drys, I will add another 2 layers. I'll post a picture of the next step once we finish it. If you have any interest in making one for yourself, you can click on the skip to my lou link on the right side of my page and search her site for snowman pinata. She has listed the instructions step by step. The only thing missing is that she doesn't tell you how hard it is to connect the body. You will have to learn that through trial and error. :-)
Today I had lunch with my dear friend Wendy. These salads looked so decorative that I had to take a photo to share. We had intended to try a new restaurant in Huntsville but because of the weather we decided to stay on this side of the mountain. (it was a good thing we did too!)We went to Michael's in Townhouse Market or whatever it is called only to find out they went out of business 4 months ago. So we decided to try a small restaurant that neither of us had been to called Carson's. It turned out to be more of a sports bar/grill type of place. It didn't matter because we found a nice booth away from everyone and sat for a couple of hours eating and catching up. We left just in time to miss the big freeze. These are the salads we ordered. Looks too good of a dish to be served in a sports bar. I was pleasantly surprised.
Now, it's almost time to get everyone into bed so Lydia and I can curl up in the living room and continue reading our book. We are really enjoying reading this Christmas classic. We find ourselves giggling at Kris Kringle and all the funny things that happen in the book. Maybe we will watch the movie once we have finished reading it.

Goodnight everyone.

No comments: