Thursday, August 20, 2009

Locks, Rocks, and Boats

Lydia is taking Alabama history this year. Her first chapter follow up asks the question: Have you ever seen a dam with a lock? Did you see a boat pass through the lock? So, we jumped in the van after school and rode to Guntersville Dam. I showed her the lock and explained how it all worked. This was from a distance of course since you can't actually get to the locks anymore since 911. They are fenced off. But we did get close enough to see the locks and we were fortunate enough to be there while a barge was going through. Not only that but we had the opportunity to watch how the barge hands switch out. We watched one guy be delivered to shore while another was picked up, each man carrying his duffle bags.




2 comments:

Melissa @ The Littlest Lobo said...

Rhonda, I just wanted to say Hi! I have been lurking, too! Thanks for the comment and the compliment! It is hard to find the time to blog as much as I do, but I really enjoy. I started it for my husband's mother and extended family who all live in Kansas. I am loving comparing Maddie to Camden. I can't believe she is so plump! Camden doesn't even weigh 22 pounds yet! I loved this post, too. Alabama history was one of my favorite subjects and I can't wait for Camden to study it one day. Such a great real life lesson!

Mimi said...

Lydia looks so cute in these pictures! I love her hat and outfit!